Mushrooms and Fungi

Mushroom Reproduction

Have you ever thought about the dozens of mushrooms just in your backyard? Having there be millions of mushrooms worldwide; mushrooms don’t only reproduce sexually and asexually, but also spread because of spores. 

Mushroom Sexual ReproductionMushroom reproduction

When mushrooms reproduce, unlike plants and animals they don’t produce seeds, or sperm and eggs.  Instead they produce spores. Inside the caps of mushrooms each have special cells, named differently for each mushroom. These special cells are located at the tiny ends of areas inside the mushroom cap.  Inside the mushroom cap meiosis will occur. This process will be splitting the entire genetic code, creating reproductive cells only containing half of the genetic information. The original fungi begin with two nuclei, meaning after meiosis the reproductive cell will only contain one nucleus. When the two cells then combine, it forms the two nuclei needed, and is the formation of a new mushroom.

Mushroom Asexual Reproduction

Often than not, the cells act almost in the same manner in asexual reproduction as they do for sexual reproduction, but they can also have a separate function.

Asexual reproduction is generally where the mushroom cells divide multiple times forming clones of each cell. Spreading the hyphae (“one of the thread like elements of the fungi”) underground to bond with a second hyphae.  The hyphae being spread down are Haploid.  Having only one set of complete chromosomes, they cannot yet form into a mushroom.  However, the only way for them to continue to spread is if they find a compatible partner to continue the cycle.

Mushroom asexual reproduction can also be spread not only through the ground, but through the wind, and water nearby.

Spores

A spore is a reproductive cell that is capable of developing an individual organism but without diffusion. Spores are produced by bacteria. Spores are unlike seeds because they don’t have an embryo. Only few spores manage to land in an area having a great ability to survive in order to grow into an individual. The adult spores can produce millions of spores to increase a greater chance of a spore’s survival.

Work Cited

“Mushroom Information” http://www.suite101.com/ . Bridget Coila. Web. February 22nd, 2012

Mushroom Reproduction Image:

6 Comments »

1. fl1504018 Said,

February 26, 2012@ 7:07 pm      Reply

I thought you did a good job of explaining the words that weren’t as familiar as the others. That helped me alot with understanding what you were talking about. I also like how you broke the post up into different sections. This made it much more clear on what I was reading about. Overall great job!

• misslightle2012 Said,

March 11, 2012@ 4:33 pm      Reply

Which words specifically were you glad that the author explained?

2. fl1504047 Said,

February 26, 2012@ 8:30 pm      Reply

I too am writing my blogs about mushrooms. My first blog was about the lifecycle and parts so, I completely understood the content of your blog. Even though I have already reasearched over this topic I still learned some new things I didn’t know before like, mushrooms reproduce seuxal as well as asexually. Also, your blog went into precise detail of what really goes on under the caps of mushrooms. The only thing that needs work on is your conclusion.

3. fl1504043 Said,

February 29, 2012@ 10:01 am      Reply

I thought you did a great job on your blog. I thought you explained how they reproduce really well. I also really liked how you divided your blog into different sections because it made it a lot easier to understand. Overall, I think you did a great job.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI